Sunday 28 June 2009

Kingshouse toTyndrum June 24th Day 19


Morning clouds hugging mountain tops

This morning I decided to start about 5.15am as it was a very warm night and I was awake. The mountains looked spectacular with the clouds hugging them like little bonnets. So off I headed on mainly military roads built by Telford. Quite an easy walk on flat but pebbled paths towards Inveroran Hotel where there was a steep climb to the top of yet another mountain, where I met Betsy from Seattle who insisted on taking my photograph and wishing me best of luck. Down the other side to the Bridge of Orchy for a rest and a soak of my plates in the river very nice too. It was only 11 o’clock by now and seemed daft to stop for the day so early so I decided to carry on another 7 miles and reach Tyndrum , so leaving the bridge behind I set off in the hot sunshine. This walk took me alongside the railway passing the village Post Office you have to see to believe it a green portacabin been there since 1972 and looked like a derelict builders shanty in the middle of nowhere. This route took me along side the Great Western Railway line which was pleasant enough until about a mile outside Tyndrum when the path became an assault course and not what I would call a path at all. I half expected to see Chris Bonnington handing out crampons. Which may I say was the last thing I needed having walked 18 miles is scorching sunshine. The village of Tyndrum if that’s what it was consists of a services called the Green Welly Stop selling over expensive outdoor wear and ice creams. One pub and a Little Chef which had been turned into a fish and chip restaurant . It has lots of coaches passing through so it was a busy little place where I watched people aimlessly walking up and down the road.


A break at the Bridge or Orchy 12 mile point

No comments:

Post a Comment