Sunday 28 June 2009

Tyndrum to Inversnaid 25th June Day 20

Leaving Tyndrum behind in the sunshine again I set off through the Wigwam campsite which weren’t wigwams at all but wooden huts. For about four miles its was pretty flat farm land and nice to be on a flatish path. A very steep climb up over Ben Lul mountain heading for Crianlarich before turning off on to the Glen Falloch path which by now had become a rough farm track but nothing compared to what was coming. For the first two or three miles passing reed beds and in the shade it was quite pleasant. I had been warned by various people that the path ahead was rough and unforgiving I was shocked when I arrived at the start of Loch Lomond which I may add was a wonderful view but the path, well what path was a disgrace and a danger as far as I am concerned. This section in my opinion should be renamed The Worst Highland Way it was ridiculous with narrow foot space and upwards of forty foot drops into the loch below, climbing over boulders and bridges that were in need of repair and in places having to climb down using foot holes sheer drops of around 8 foot. In this day and age of health and safety I am amazed that the path is still open. I suggest that members of the West Highland Way Management Group take a day off from sitting behind their desks and having expensive lunches and attempt to walk this path it is a disgrace to the Scottish Tourist Board who promote it.
Inversnaid Hotel that is at the end of these sections should be a lunatic asylum for those who have walked there although I must say served a well earned pint of lager at a reasonable price.

FOOTNOTE** Rob Roy’s cave is along this section of path no wonder the English couldn’t find him.

No comments:

Post a Comment